• Estate Planning


    Through comprehensive estate planning, you can protect the future of your assets and loved ones.

    Safeguard Your Future
  • Probate Law


    Our firm can provide the tools necessary to navigate the complexites of administering a will.

    Discover Your Options
  • Power of Attorney


    By naming an agent, you can ensure that your wishes are met when you can no longer make decisions.

    Establish Your Voice

Estate Planning When You're Married to a Noncitizen

Estate planning when your spouse is a noncitizen can be tricky but in general, you can proceed as if they were full citizens.

Regardless of your spouse’s status, both partners ought to make wills or living trusts to leave assets you have in the U.S. to anyone you wish, name beneficiaries of any retirement accounts, and make durable powers of attorney for finances and health care.

You may be surprised to learn that you can even leave property to a noncitizen, so you can take this into account when naming beneficiaries for retirement accounts or life insurance policies.

What about the estate tax?

The federal estate tax, on the other hand, does not affect assets which are left to a surviving spouse but only if the spouse is a citizen. This is known as the unlimited marital deduction which works as an additional exemption. Even if the inheriting spouse is a permanent legal resident, the deduction does not apply to them. Although, you can leave any amount up to the 2015 limit to any spouse even if a noncitizen which is $5.43 million.

Gifts you give to your noncitizen spouse can also be subject to the federal gift tax. This tax will apply to gifts of more than $147,000 in a year as of 2015.

If you intend to gift or leave more money that this to your noncitizen spouse, you can avoid the estate tax if your spouse becomes a full citizen by the time your estate’s federal estate tax return is due. This return is normally due to the IRS within nine months after the death of the citizen spouse but an extension of six months can be granted.

Otherwise, you may be able to pass on your assets without paying the estate tax if you use a special “qualified domestic trust” or QDOT to leave your property to the trust rather than your spouse. Your spouse is then the beneficiary of the trust and receives the income the trust property generates which are not subject to estate tax.

No matter how you wish to provide for your noncitizen spouse, speak with a Sacramento estate planning attorney from The Woodbury Law Office and we can go over all your legal options together!

Categories: Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts

Contact Follow Us

Contact Us

The Woodbury Law Office
Sacramento Estate Planning Attorney
Located at: 875 University Ave,
Sacramento, CA 95825
View Map
Phone: (916) 209-0759
© 2019 All Rights Reserved.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.